Last updated on March 13th, 2019 at 08:43 am
So you started your business. It is growing steadily, but not as fast as you had hoped.
As you analyze the problem, you quickly narrow it down to the marketing of your product.
This is probably when you ask yourself, who has time for marketing? Y
ou have enough on your plate, between selling your product, managing the business, and the finances. You likely do not have much time to work on all the marketing aspects,
especially the social media marketing.
This is when you should decide to hire a social media marketing company. What qualifications should you look for?
Do you want a company that has a good social media presence of their own? Should you hire an outside company or full-time employee? Do certain companies focus and specialize in different areas of social media? And the list of questions goes on.
Social Media Is Growing Every Year
The importance of social media marketing has rapidly grown over the last decade, and it will continue grow. Social media marketing reaches a new generation and targets a specific audience. One source states.
“The number of worldwide social media users is projected to grow from 2.1 billion last year to 2.5 billion by 2019.” This number does not even take into consideration that most people have more than one social network that they actively use.
Companies can greatly benefit by having an active and relevant social media presence. By knowing what to looking for in a social media marketing company.
You will be able to find the best solution that perfectly fits your needs. Moreover, it will benefit your company in more ways than just the number of followers.
Our Criteria for Ranking Social Media Marketing Companies
Your first instinct when looking for a great company to hire might be to look at their social presence. Do they have millions of followers?
Do they leverage their Instagram influencers? By focusing on these 6 categories, you will be able to hire the company with the best fit.
- Understands the context of social media – not just what to post, but the historical trends and what the futures holds. There are a decent amount of “consultants” that will claim that they fully understand social media. However, it is important to ask for quantifiable results that they have produced.
A true social media marketing company will be able to understand the specifics about each network, their strengths and weaknesses, and the steps required to be successful on each platform.
- Thinks strategically – You do not want someone that throws advice at you before truly getting a deeper understanding of your brand, mission, and customer. Every person is able to simply research a “how-to” guide on building a social media presence. Still, not every company will put the extra effort in to understand you as a client.
This step is often difficult to grasp when there is a large difference between price tags, but it cannot be overlooked.
- Has a network of their own – Business is about relationships and the same is true with social media marketing. You want to hire companies that have connections to people in the network companies.
One method that can help accomplish this step is to check their LinkedIn. Simply looking at who follows them is not enough. LinkedIn provides a more professional relationship that proves that they have interacted and built a working relationship.
- Shows you why you are paying them – You can get all the followers that you ever want, but if it does not translate into dollars or brand value, it is not worth it. Look to hire companies that bring creative and innovative thoughts to the table that translate into the growth of your company. Do not overlook this step! It is important that they answer the question of money or value, rather than just throw flashy charts at you that show the follower count. Drill into this question and the true social media marketing companies will begin to reveal themselves.
- Knows the ins and outs of networks – A deep technical understanding of APIs and network capabilities is a must. Any person can get a base layer understanding of posting or advertising on Facebook. An expert is someone that can explain the technicalities behind why each social network acts the way it does.
- Is timely – Being able to rely on the company to produce results in a timely manner is essential. This is harder to quantify, but make sure to do your research on this before hiring a company.
One way to solve this is by closely monitoring their performance and milestones, until a proper working relationship is built.
Companies expect clients to watch closely at the start and they will want to win your trust. When they win your trust, both parties will be able to work more efficiently and effectively doing what they do best.
Top 10 Social Media Marketing Companies
With all the different criteria and questions to think through, it can be overwhelming to research and decide on a company.
You want to make a smart decision on the company and do not want to make a mistake by hiring any company in your city.
Here is a list of the top 10 social media marketing companies that not only fit the criteria mentioned above, but have been recognized as leaders in the industry.
- If you want the top strategy and methodology
- Founded in 2008
- Top Services: Search Engine Optimization, Pay Per Click Management, and Web Design
- Notable clients: Quaker, Blue Mercury, and Neopost
- If you want more strategy and less methodology
- Founded in 2009
- Top Services: Search Engine Optimization, and Web Development
- Notable clients: JD Power, Dexter Law, Artbeats
- If you want a lower price tag
- Founded in 2006
- Top Services: Search Engine Optimization, Reputation Management, Pay Per Click Management, Mobile App Development
- Notable clients: ACE hardware, Subway, Werth Reality
- If you want an innovative company
- Founded in 2011
- Top Services: Pay Per Click Management, Facebook Advertising, Landing Page Optimization
- Notable clients: Guitar center, Sportsman Warehouse, Fandango
- If you want a company in the Pacific Northwest
- Founded in 2009
- Top Services: Social Media Marketing, Media Planning and Buying, and Digital Strategy
- Notable clients: Taco Time, Brown Bear Car Wash, Zeeks Pizza
- If you want less strategy and more methodology
- Founded in 2007
- Top Services: Search Engine Optimization, Video SEO
- Notable clients: Fitness Equipment Northeast, New England Investments
7. Social SEO
- If you want a company that has been around for awhile
- Founded in 1996
- Top Services: Search Engine Optimization, Link Building
- Notable clients: Confidential
- If you want a company focused on hospitality
- Founded in 2013
- Top Services: Social Media Marketing and Web Design
- Notable clients: Publicly traded LGN company and world-class ski resort
- If you want a company focused in the automotive industry
- Founded in 2010
- Top Services: Social Media Marketing
- Notable clients: Toyota, Kia, BMW
10. Wallaroo Media
- If you want a strong performer with a balance of methodology and strategy
- Founded in 2008
- Top Services: Search Engine Optimization, Pay Per Click Management
- Notable clients: Disney, Casper, The Ritz-Carlton
While there are plenty of successful companies to hire, our top 10 provides a great starting point to help you increase your social media brand and generate a high value and monetary return.
Each of these companies has a solid leadership that fulfills our above criteria and can take your company to a new social high.
Why Hire a Company Rather Than an Individual?
Some people might be wondering why they should hire a company rather than just an individual. You might be struggling to justify hiring a social media marketing company because of the added cost.
You might even like bringing in a full-time employee so you do not have to put time in finding the right company. Either way, it is important to consider this question and know what would best fit your company.
Here are a few points to think through when deciding between an individual and company:
- Leverage the company’s expertise – By hiring a company, your money is going towards the employees of the company, rather than the individual in the company that you would be working with. This will come in handy not only when you are seeking their advice. It will allow the company’s leadership to manage a team properly, leading to deeper insights and strategy. For example, if your company ends up needing a specific set of skills, the individual might not be able to handle the request. On the other hand, if you have a company, they will be able to leverage their entire employee network.
- Stay current on trends – By leveraging an entire company, they are required to stay up to date on all the trends and changes that social networks make. When you hire an individual, you will need to free up their schedule to allow them to research and study new trends.
- Damage control at scale – It is no secret that social media can cause damage to a company. With the ability to rapidly share any news at a few taps of the finger, if a company does something wrong, your brand will take a hit.Social media companies are aware of this potential threat and can deploy an entire team to best resolve the issues. They will be able to think how to strategically solve the issue without tarnishing your brand value. On the other hand, an individual would be taking a risk to attempt to solve an issue individually.
- Optimize brainstorm sessions and innovation – It is always good to get an outside opinion on your company. Social media is another area that requires outside opinion and it is crucial that you do not get stuck in the weeds.
A common pitfall for companies who only bring in full-time employees is groupthink. Groupthink is a dangerous problem to have and can cause your social media presence to quickly die out.
But, if you have an outside opinion, you can rest assured that they are leveraging multiple resources within their company. This will produce innovative thoughts and ideas for your company.
In conclusion, many individuals seek to be social media marketing consultants. These people might have a large social following, but it is crucial to verify some information prior to hiring either a firm or an individual.
By following our 6-point criteria, you will be able to hire a social media marketing company with confidence that they can provide the results that you are looking for.
Additionally, by knowing the benefits of hiring an outside social media marketing company over a full-time social media manager, you can have confidence that you business is safe.
Once trust is established between you and the marketing company, you will no longer have to stress about your social media presence because you will know that it is being handled properly.
You now have the resources to enhance your company’s online presence. With this, you should anticipate the growth that you are looking for and have been missing. Social media is constantly changing and it will always keep you on your toes.
By hiring a solid social media marketing company, you will be able to properly allocate your time and efforts to other aspects of your business.
The WiseSmallBusiness Team is full of industry experts and successful business owners willing to contribute important business articles.