With today’s ever growing list of connected mobile devices, finding a wireless router that can easily handle your Wi-Fi business connectivity is a necessary task.
You need high-quality performance VoIP for staying in touch with clients, leading to your search for a top functioning router. Choosing this important device takes careful consideration of coverage area size, the size of your client base, and the device types connecting to your router.
Not everyone needs the features of the top models, or a VoIP focused/high-end Enterprise router. While there’s no reason you should pay for key features you’ll never use, your business needs a good performing router that won’t interfere with the VoIP quality.
Our review of the best routers for 2019 can help any small or midsize business find a good performing router for connecting tablets, computers, and several phones. We’ve listed some user-friendly, cost-saving options for simple router solutions, intended for a small business office setting.
Key Features for Making Our List of Best Routers
In this review, we focus on both older and newer routers. These routers are fully capable of VoIP configuration with the best feature sets and latest wire-free technology.
The review focuses on several features and settings for ensuring the routers cover any needs of the SMB, whether it’s local network file sharing or making an internet connection while utilizing office phones.
The top router features needed for addition to our best router list are:
- Service Quality – Setting to allow prioritization of specific data traffic types.
- Wireless Dual Band Support – Gives the router the ability of two different frequency transmission. Dual band support lets the office fit all devices on a single router.
- Available LAN Ports – The number of LAN ports dictates the number of devices you can hardwire. Gigabyte LAN ports add speed and reliability.
- Included WAN Ports – The Wide Area Network (WAN) has multiple LANS for combining different locations and networks inside a single building to a single Wide Area Network. You need at least one port, but multiple ports let you add extra features.
- VLAN Support – The Virtual Local Area Network (VLAN) consists of several devices connected to at least one LAN. It’s configured for communications as if being attached to a single wire even though they run across other LAN segments. VLAN helps separate devices by network groups.
Our Top 8 Picks for Small Business Router
Asus RT-AC87U Wireless Router
First up is the older but still a supreme choice, Asus RT-AC87U. This top-rated router has an impressive 2332 Mbps, dual-band data rate. The high-speed router can handle demanding tasks like 4K streaming and offers four LAN ports. Even though the higher end routers have more ports than the ASUS router, it should still fulfill most small business needs with its capability of hardwiring three phones and installing a switch.
If you’re looking for more speed and good reliability, the WAN gigabit port delivers. An Adaptive QoS prioritizes traffic while keeping VoIP calls clear. You get a variety of settings for experimenting with when you need further optimization, and the router supports SIP phones.
Key features of the Asus RT-AC87U wireless router:
- Wi-fi router is a super-fast 802.11ac featuring 2334 Mbps combined dual-band data rate. The fast speed gives you 4K/UHD playback for videos, file-sharing that is super-fast for your large files and capability low-latency online gaming.
- 0 and 3.0 built-in USB ports delivering data transfers to USB storage that is up to 10-times faster, dongle support of 3G/4G, and print sharing.
- Top multi-device performance and enhanced signal coverage with the AiRadar universal beamforming 4×4 MU-MIMO antennae design.
- Access, sync, stream and share files on all internet-connected devices anywhere with the ASUS AiCloud 2.0.
- Trend Micro AiProtection with privacy protection and strong total network security.
You can find the Asus RT-AC87U router through Amazon for around $199.88.
[mks_button size=”medium” title=”Check Price On Amazon” style=”rounded” url=”https://www.amazon.com/RT-AC87U-Wireless-AC2400-AiProtection-Complete-Security/dp/B00MPI5N7U/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&qid=1492804305&sr=8-1&keywords=Asus+RT-AC87U&linkCode=ll1&tag=wisesb-20&linkId=f63391224c0d23294746b11ba265e8b6″ target=”_blank” bg_color=”#dd9933″ text-transform= “none” txt_color=”#FFFFFF” icon=”” icon_type=”” nofollow=”1″]
D-Link AC3200 Tri-Band Wireless Router
The highly-rated D-Link AC3200 Tri-Band wireless router performs like three wireless routers in one! Six antennas with 2.4GHz 1×600 Mbps connection allows you to connect more wireless devices with less interference.
With the 1GHz dual core processor, you get powerful router task handling and traffic optimization with Intelligent QoS. Other features include the Advanced Smart Connect for allocating the best channel or band, giving you the greatest Wi-Fi connection. Like the Asus, the D-Link AC3200 has one Gigabit Wan port and four Gigabit LAN ports. Still, the tri-band support is the better choice when relying on connections through Wi-Fi.
Key features of the D-Link AC3200 Tri-band wireless router:
- Advanced security with WPA/WPA2 encryption.
- Top Wi-Fi performance speeds at 600 Mbps in 2.4 GHZ and 1300 Mbps in 5GHz for supporting more Wi-Fi device connections to the high-speed network.
- Advanced SmartConnect delivers the best band for the maximum Wi-Fi performance.
- The user interface is intuitive, allowing easy installation and desktop or mobile device network management.
- Advanced AC SmartBeam tracks all connected devices and enhances Wi-Fi range and Speed.
- Traffic optimization with intelligent QoS delivers a seamless performance across all applications.
- Get powerful wireless and wired speeds with a 1GHzDual Core processor.
You can find the D-Link AC3200 Tri-band wireless router through Amazon for $119.99.
[mks_button size=”medium” title=”Check Price On Amazon” style=”rounded” url=”https://www.amazon.com/D-Link-Tri-Band-Performance-Beamforming-DIR-890L/dp/B00PVD81MK/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&qid=1492805786&sr=8-1&keywords=D-Link+AC3200&linkCode=ll1&tag=wisesb-20&linkId=38e42a248c434bff5f436a4b0f8fdab0″ target=”_blank” bg_color=”#dd9933″ text-transform= “none” txt_color=”#FFFFFF” icon=”” icon_type=”” nofollow=”1″]
Netgear AC5300 Nighthawk X8 Triband Wireless Router
Another super-fast choice for a wireless router is the Netgear AC5300 Nighthawk X8. Get speeds of 5.3 Gbps with the tri-band support. The Nighthawk, along with its quad stream technology, delivers for different streams of data per each Wi-Fi band. The fast connections from the router come with the support of the 6 Gigabit LAN ports.
The four external Active Antennas and the four internal antennas give the AC5300 Nighthawk an amplified Wi-Fi range.
Dynamic QoS handles all traffic prioritization and includes D-Link with Smart Connect. Aggregated LAN ports allow for combined speeds of 2GB over one connection, more than the standard single port connection with 1GB. There are two major drawbacks to this router. First, it only has only one WAN port. Second, many users have complained about its durability and connection issues.
Key features of the D-Link AC3200 Tri-band:
- Some of the fastest speeds available with up to 5.3Gbps, 1,000 Mbps at 2.4GHz 1024, and 2,166 Mbps at 5GHz 11ac 1024 QAM.
- Four active antennas with four internal antennas for amplifying and maximizing range. Get faster file transfers with the 6 Gigabit Ethernet ports-aggregate.
- MU-MIMO for simultaneous data streaming over multiple devices and Dynamic QoS gives prioritized bandwidth by device and application.
- Get more Wi-Fi on more devices with tri-band Wi-Fi. The Smart Connect selects fast Wi-Fi for each device.
You can find the Netgear AC5300 Nighthawk X8 Triband wireless router through Amazon for $149.99. An “Expert Setup” will cost you an additional $49.
[mks_button size=”medium” title=”Check Price On Amazon” style=”rounded” url=”https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-AC5300-Nighthawk-Tri-Band-R8500-100NAS/dp/B015PD3HOC/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&qid=1492809843&sr=8-1&keywords=Netgear+Nighthawk+X8&linkCode=ll1&tag=wisesb-20&linkId=008c14f2f9ce3b6e4f3af5aef7a912f3″ target=”_blank” bg_color=”#dd9933″ text-transform= “none” txt_color=”#FFFFFF” icon=”” icon_type=”” nofollow=”1″]
TP-Link AC3200 Triband (Archer C3200) Wireless Router
The AC3200 has 3200 Mbps with six antennas with 1GHz dual-core CPU. The three high-speed Wi-Fi bands run each device at amazingly fast internet speed. Smart Connect helps all your devices run faster through the process of assigning them to the best 5GHz channel, while the six external antennas maximize stability and coverage area.
TP-Link has four LAN ports, each one Gigabit, and a WAN port at one Gigabit. You get securely connected device access through Wi-Fi or USB with the built-in VPN.
Configuration is simple with the intuitive mobile app and the included dynamic QoS. The router comes with a generous 2-year warranty.
Key features of the D-Link AC3200 Tri-band wireless router:
- Tri-band technology gives you three separate Wi-Fi bands that connect more devices to the network.
- Get strong, reliable wireless connection with Beamforming. The six high-performance antennas maximize coverage and stability with the Beamforming feature.
- 1GHz dual-core CPU and the three co-processors efficiently handle connections simultaneously and without interruptions.
- An interface that is intuitive and a Tether app allows easy install and network management.
- A leader in the industry with a two-year warranty and unlimited technical support 24/7.
You can find the TP-Link AC3200 Triband (Archer C320) wireless router through Amazon for $169.99.
[mks_button size=”medium” title=”Check Price On Amazon” style=”rounded” url=”https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Wireless-Tri-Band-Archer-C3200/dp/B00YY3XSSA/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&qid=1492811705&sr=8-1&keywords=TP-Link+AC3200+(Archer+C3200)&linkCode=ll1&tag=wisesb-20&linkId=8ec6dac7d9e60325144e351b8d97d40d” target=”_blank” bg_color=”#dd9933″ text-transform= “none” txt_color=”#FFFFFF” icon=”” icon_type=”” nofollow=”1″]
Even though the AC5400 is not quite as feature-rich as the other routers on our best list, it has triband for decent 5.3 Gbps speed and is easy to set up. The included eight Gigabit LAN ports, and the single Gigabit WAN port helps this wireless router earn our recommendation. The router also has eight antennas that increase signal range.
The Linksys utilizes a mobile app for fast, on the go configuration using your mobile phone. The router prioritizes three applications or devices, but needs user configuration of the QoS setting. For those who don’t mind the extra step, it only takes a simple office setup.
The Linksys AC5400 is ideal for busy offices with improved signal range to all mobile devices by using focused Wi-Fi signals known as Beamforming Technology.
Key features of the Linksys AC5400 Tri-band wireless router:
- Amazon Alexa compatible.
- The tri-band Wi-Fi has a third, dedicated high-speed band that helps eliminate lag and buffering.
- The 8 Gigabit ports deliver wire speeds that are ten times faster when running printers and other wireless devices than what standard Ethernet delivers.
- Pairs Max-Stream Routers with Max-Stream Extenders for seamless roaming. The router and extender pairing lets your device automatically change to the strongest available Wi-Fi signal while you’re moving around the office.
- The router includes top of the line security featuring WPA/WPA2 encryption and SPI firewall for safe network connection.
- The AC5400 comes with tech support and a 3-year warranty.
You can find the Linksys AC5400 Triband wireless router through Amazon for $299.99.
[mks_button size=”medium” title=”Check Price On Amazon” style=”rounded” url=”https://www.amazon.com/Linksys-AC5400-Wireless-Router-EA9500/dp/B017NT8Q24/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&qid=1493095027&sr=8-1&keywords=Linksys+AC5400&linkCode=ll1&tag=wisesb-20&linkId=8b4b9894bb9d8b35cfa5e687a5193e9e”_blank” bg_color=”#dd9933″ text-transform= “none” txt_color=”#FFFFFF” icon=”” icon_type=”” nofollow=”1″]
The newest TP-Link lineup addition, the AD7200 is the first running the 802.11ad wireless standard using a 60GHz instead of the normal 5GHz and 2.4GHz. This new technology runs maximum speeds of 7Gbps compared to the regular 5.3 and 3.2Gbps found on other wireless router models.
The leading-edge antenna design delivers a strong and reliable Wi-Fi signal where you need it. New beam-steering technology routes Wi-Fi signal through the clearest path leading to your devices.
MU-MIMO with 4-Stream reduces waiting time while increasing Wi-Fi speed. The heavy hitter, 1.4GHz dual-core processor, makes handling simultaneous connections a breeze and keeps the router going at its peak performance.
Key features of the TP-Link AD7200 Tri-band wireless router (Talon AD7200):
- Connect all your devices to an amazingly smooth wireless network offering complete and super-fast, in-room coverage with its 802.11ad. The 802 technology is the latest and most powerful wireless technology innovation on the market.
- Share thousands of files and pictures with a generous 60GHz band.
- The AD7200 Multi-band and the 4-Stream technology gives your office fast Wi-Fi speeds of 7200Mbps over 2.4GHz(800Mbps), 5GHz (1733Mbps, and 60GHZ (4600Mbps) bands.
- The MU-MIMO technology delivers fast Wi-Fi to each device with multi-user support.
- Interruption-free high-speed connections through a powerful 1.4GHz dual-core SPU.
You can find the TP-Link AD7200 Triband wireless router through Amazon for $350.
[mks_button size=”medium” title=”Check Price On Amazon” style=”rounded” url=”https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Wireless-Tri-Band-Gigabit-Router/dp/B01FRP2758/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&qid=1492833082&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=P-Link+(Talon)+Ad7200+router&linkCode=ll1&tag=wisesb-20&linkId=a80c316dfcd5ffb1e69e0986c46f8872″ target=”_blank” bg_color=”#dd9933″ text-transform= “none” txt_color=”#FFFFFF” icon=”” icon_type=”” nofollow=”1″]
Slightly older than the Linksys AC5400 router, the 2015 model WRT1900ACS has a faster dual-core CPU at 1.6Hz. It also delivers 512MB dedicated RAM with dual-band Wi-Fi with 1300Mbps. The WRT1900ACS provides the small business office a highly capable router, delivering wireless service at a cost-effective price. While you don’t get the tri-band support the AC5400 has, you do save a substantial amount, roughly $200.
The unique four external antennas and the 1.6 GHz dual-core Processor and 512MB RAM memory supports the active office, all while removing dead spots in multilevel buildings. You get fast data transfer, allowing multiple users to simultaneously transfer files with no lagging or interruptions.
For those businesses developing their own firmware and want to use an open-source already in place, this professional router does the job. Like the newer model routers, you can configure the WRT1900ACS with an optional mobile app. The included Linksys Smart Wi-Fi software helps you build a network map of the office for streamlining setup and configuration.
The WRT1900ACS comes with one WAN port, four LAN ports, and four Gigabit Ethernet ports. This router setup lets you connect to wired devices through a USB 3.0 port and dual eSATA USB 2.0 port.
Key features of the Linksys WRT1900ACS Dual-Band Smart Gigabit Wi-Fi wireless router:
- Deliver wireless-AC 4.3x faster than N technology.
- Four adjustable, high-performance antennas enhance dual-band communications and deliver amazing Wi-Fi signal strength throughout multilevel buildings.
- High-speed data processing for simultaneous multiple users, no lag file transfer with the dual-core 1.6GHz CPU.
- Share content with an external storage device and super-fast data transfer speeds. The USB 3.0 enhances data transfer performance with the external SATA drives which accommodates USB2.0.
You can find the Linksys WRT1900ACS Dual-Band Smart Gigabit Wi-Fi wireless router through Amazon for $139.99.
[mks_button size=”medium” title=”Check Price On Amazon” style=”rounded” url=”https://www.amazon.com/Linksys-WRT1900ACS-Dual-Band-Certified-Refurbished/dp/B01L7WOU6Y/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&qid=1492977761&sr=8-3&keywords=Linksys+WRT1900ACS&linkCode=ll1&tag=wisesb-20&linkId=5b83ad0f50c007da43b8a5b1cc1d08b1″ target=”_blank” bg_color=”#dd9933″ text-transform= “none” txt_color=”#FFFFFF” icon=”” icon_type=”” nofollow=”1″]
The Trendnet AC320 delivers top performance, producing 3200 Mbps speeds and high-level security the minute you plug it in with pre-encryption. With Smart Connect technology, you get separated slow and fast AC devices in separate Wi-Fi AC bands.
The single WAN port accompanies four, high-performance Gigabit LAN ports, as well as a 1 GHz dual-core processor which delivers hardware that functions well even though it’s slower. Six high gain antennas, SuperSpeed USB 3.0, and high power amplifiers help deliver good networking range and speed.
Like the Linksys WRT1900ACS wireless router, the Trendnet AC320 fits the bill for offices implementing their own solutions with open source firmware compatibility. You get IPQoS needed when using VoIP functions with the capability of Qualcomm StreamBoost support, a standard QoS system upgrade. The AC320 also works with VPNs or as a standalone.
Targeted beamforming increases real-time performance with the directions of stronger wireless signals to your location.
Key features of the Trendnet AC320 Gigabit Tri-Band Wireless Router:
- Fast Wi-Fi speeds at 3200 Mbps for top performance through simultaneous tri-band. Fast, uninterrupted file transfers and data streaming throughout the office with unbelievably fast wireless and wired speeds.
- From the moment you plug it in, the Trendnet AC320 wireless router has pre-encryption for safety and convenience.
- Two USB connection ports with an on/off power switch, one a USB 3.0, and four Gigabit Ethernet
- Beamforming technology points the wireless signals toward receiving devices instead of sending in a general direction.
- Get automatic grouping of fast and slow AC devices to different Wi-Fi AC bands with Smart Connect.
- Simultaneous high-speed data processing totaling 2.96GHz of penta-core processing power from the 1 GHz dual core processor and three integrated coprocessors.
- Trendnet offers a top industry, standard 3-year warranty with unlimited technical support 24/7.
You can find the Trendnet AC320 Gigabit Tri-Band wireless router through Amazon for around $390.
[mks_button size=”medium” title=”Check Price On Amazon” style=”rounded” url=”https://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-Tri-Band-Compatible-processor-TEW-828DRU/dp/B00TCU295S/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&qid=1492980157&sr=8-1&keywords=Trendnet+AC3200&linkCode=ll1&tag=wisesb-20&linkId=8fd4dfe6858ea298ae6daafc1e3a32d1″ target=”_blank” bg_color=”#dd9933″ text-transform= “none” txt_color=”#FFFFFF” icon=”” icon_type=”” nofollow=”1″]
Our Final Take on the Best Wireless Router for Small Business
The market is full of different routers and what you choose depends largely on your needs and the size of your business. If you have an extremely small business, with only one or two people, you can go smaller. One of the small, no-frills routers on our list, like the Linksys WRT1900ACS Dual-Band router or the ASUS RT-AC87U Wireless Router may work well for you.
But if you’re operating a growing business or plan on expanding, you need to plan ahead and opt for a dual or tri-band wireless router. You want to choose something capable of growing with you, while still delivering a reliable, uninterrupted connection.
While top tier consumer routers deliver high-performance, they lack not only scalability, but also the security of the higher end routers. Network hardware prices are reasonable with the price of our top-tier review being only $390, which makes going for better performance a possibility.
The WiseSmallBusiness Team is full of industry experts and successful business owners willing to contribute important business articles.